20110923-25_Lake District Long Weekend – An Overview
When : 23rd to 25th September 2011
Where : Based in Borrowdale, Lake District, Cumbria, England
Total week-end walks distance : Approx 34 km (21 miles)
Total significant heights climbed : Approx 2,300 m (7,560 ft)
Summary : Our annual trip to the superb English Lakes, simply, to walk up some mountains.
Click on a pic’ and it should launch as a larger image on my flickr photostream … or, go to my flickr photo’s to see them all in one go.
The week-end trip had been planned for some time, with a room booked at Borrowdale Youth Hostel at Longthwaite + Rosthwaite, in the lovely upper reaches of the Borrowdale Valley south of Keswick and Derwentwater. This would be the 4th year on-the-trot we’d organised a Lake District trip and the second time in as many years we’d based ourselves in the Borrowdale area.
- 2008 = Based in Grasmere.
- 2009 = Based in Patterdale (near Ullswater).
- 2010 = Based at Derwentwater (northern end) of Borrowdale.
- 2011 = Based in southern Borrowdale.
The plan was, hopefully, to use one of the days to climb Scafell Pike, the highest place in England and because we had several hours of driving on both the Friday and Sunday, this only realistically left Saturday to attempt the walk. We just hoped the weather would be kind to us … especially as we were staying in the wettest place in England!
- on the Friday on how long it would take to drive up from The Midlands, and
- on the Sunday on how fit we felt after the first two days of walking.
The other snippet of back-ground that adds a certain meaning to the week-end, is that I’ve put-up with a pair of dodgy knees for many years and which, in recent years, had started to play-up more and were certainly taking longer to recover after any harder walks. Well, after about a year of seeing GPs; Having physio’; X-rays and MRI scans I had eventually gotten to see an orthopedic consultant surgeon on the day before we traveled :- His advice was to Stop Walking; Not do anything that will keep knees flexing (like Cycling and Gym work); take up swimming, but not breast stroke …. and so effectively become sedentary! Although he didn’t actually say that last word. To say this was depressing would be an understatement!
And there you have it …. that’s the back-ground over-view to this long week-end.
Oh, and the way the week-end panned out as 3x really good walks =
- Fri 23rd = Robinson + Hindscarth Circular Walk from The Newlands Valley (click here for my walk diary)
- Sat 24th = Scafell Pike Circular Walk from Seathwaite, Borrowdale (Click here for my walk diary of the ascent) and (Click here for the descent diary)
- Sun 25th = Haystacks Circular Walk from Buttermere (Click here for the walk diary)
Individual walks diaries now added … hope you enjoy.
…. If you’d like to comment on my diary or any of my pic’s please feel welcome.
PS. I’ve now had the key hole surgery on both knees (last week-early Dec 2011) and currently hobbling about the house with two elasticized tube-y-grip bandages trying to squash the residual fluid out of the joints. A ¾ of a mile stroll on the flat from the local village of Bilton to home seemed a huge success on Friday evening!