20120831_A wander around Upton House and Gardens
Who : Me and my family
Where : Upton House and Gardens, Warwickshire, England
Summary : A birthday day out for me – My 50th ! – To Upton House and Gardens, National Trust Property.
If you click on a pic’ it should launch as a larger image on my flickr photostream.
Not a country walk as such really, but I thought I’d share this post as it was a lovely day out, very gentle, to celebrate my 50th birthday where I’d booked a day off as holiday from work.
Not working; Sun shining; No rain; With my lovely Wife and Kids; It couldn’t have gotten very much better.
The day panned out like this :-
- Was allowed a bit of a lie in (doesn’t happen often).
- Didn’t go to work (good start to the day!)
- Opened my prezzies.
- Successfully ran some errands in Town.
- Good drive down The Fosse Way (B4455) to turn off onto the A422 to reach Upton House.
- Got Priorities right as soon as we’d paid to get in = Cream Tea for lunch!(National Trust Tea Shops/Restaurants are consistently very good).
- Walk around the steeply terraced gardens (Herbaceous Flower Borders and Vegetable/Fruit Allotments).
- Wander around the large pond and then the small pond (with giant coy) and later the Bog Garden.
- And a walk around the inside of the House itself, with its huge selection of paintings (some very important and big names included – Some I liked, Some I didn’t, but isn’t that the nature of art!).
- Dinner out at the Old Royal Oak / Hungry Horse Pub in Hillmorton on the Outskirts of Rugby (at the side of The Oxford Canal) – I had an excellent mixed grill, lubricated with a couple pints of bitter.
- Ended of the day with a large glass of single malt whisky (Bowmore, from the isle of Islay = one of my prezzies) … Scrummy stuff indeed – Will it last ‘till Christmas ?
- And finally, To bed, very relaxed and chilled.
I hope you enjoy my pic’s, even a fraction of how I enjoyed being there taking them :-
And, to sum up :- We tell our kids to find alternative, more descriptive words for “nice” when writing in their school work, but the whole day was eerrrrmm, well, dare I say it “NICE” …. even if I had reached THE BIG FIVE-OH, and I’m now in my 6th DECADE – oh well let’s be positive and not dwell on that !
And finally …. If you’d like to comment on my diary or any of my pic’s please feel welcome.